Food Waste Hierarchy

Posted for those browsing the forum who may be new to the topic of food waste The food waste hierarchy is similar to the 3Rs idea, but a little different.

Attached to this post is a PDF document with the food waste hierarchy.
Food Waste Hierarchy.pdf (30.7 KB)

You can see from this that either Anaerobic digestion or energy from waste are at the bottom of the hierarchy, meaning we need to encourage people to try everything above that before resorting to this. While it is better that the food waste is used for energy (with both AD and energy recovery such as https://www.viridor.co.uk/energy/energy-recovery-facilities/runcorn-erf/ ) than food rotting on a landfill site, we need to address the reasons for food not being eaten.

Facilities such as the one in Runcorn also have an impact on the local environment and if you read this article, the smell of rotting food waste is a key issue.

One way of addressing this is for food waste to be more visible - through separation. If the volume of food being wasted is more visible there is more likilhood that people will see action needs to be taken. If it is visible (through not being put in with general waste) it is possible to measure how much food is being wasted and to see if this volume is growing or decreasing.

The Greater Manchester Spatial Framework could include planning requirements for new commercial premises to have sufficient area for separate food waste recycling. It could also include planning requirements for new residential high rise developments to include the means for residents to recycle food waste. Currently, these are two issues that make it problematic for food waste to be visible.

I’d be interested to hear other people’s views on this. If you tag me (@debbieellen) in your post I’ll get an email :slight_smile:

Debbie Ellen